Becoming healthy can seem like such a huge and daunting task. With so much, often conflicting, information available on the internet, finding the info you need can be a serious scavenger hunt.
Let alone knowing where to start and actually learning the info you need to know. It can be so overwhelming. You may ask yourself “where do I even start?!?”
Here are 30 Simple Ways to Live a Healthier Life. This list is intended to make the beginning of your journey towards a healthier lifestyle easier. There is no specific bullet point or section to start with, just pick one, any one, and stick with it.
Once the one bullet point has become a part of your routine, add another one. Small commitments that are manageable, and actionable steps that are easy to remember, will help you succeed in your health and fitness journey.
Instead of radically changing your lifestyle, or revamping your diet overnight, start with one small change or addition. Dramatic changes in your day-to-day routine can be difficult to stay consistent with and keep up with in the long term. This is a sure way to set yourself up for overwhelm, loss of motivation, and not achieve your goals.
Of course, you can always do more than one at a time. The key is to know yourself well enough to know how much you can realistically handle at one time.
Start small and then grow.
- Opt for non-sugary drinks (yes, even natural fruit juices can have a lot of sugar)
- Have a cup of green tea without sweetener each day
- Snack on berries instead of candy
- Take a high quality multivitamin (I like the vitamins by Megafood)
- Drink your bodyweight in water (.5-1 oz for every 1 lb)
- Limit eating out to special occasions
- Cook with whole foods instead of pre-packaged and processed options
- Replace processed carbs with whole foods (ie baked potato instead of potato chips)
- Opt for plant based milks
- Try to buy organic produce, pasture raised eggs, pasture raised and grass finished meats, wild game, and wild caught seafood when you can
- Go for a 30 minute walk (you’ll probably finish about 1 mile)
- Take a fitness class
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator
- Park farther away
- Bike to work and other errands
- Join a sports team
- Schedule a fun outdoor activity
- Do a youtube fitness or yoga class
- Try a fitness challenge
- Choose a single exercise to do throughout the day (ie 100 squats, 50 pushups, or 20 pull-ups)
- Do an easy meditation (I love suing the headspace app)
- Try a simple breathing exercise
- Get your vitamin D from a bit of sunshine
- Try flotation therapy
- Go to a sauna
- Book a massage
- Try aromatherapy
- Book a cryotherapy session
- Maintain good oral hygiene (brush, floss, and scrape your tongue)
- Do something that sparks joy (dancing, painting, playing music, etc).
Which one of these 30 Simple Ways to Live a Healthier Life will you start with?