You will love this antimicrobial & antifungal DIY Yoga Mat Spray! As a yoga teacher and someone who has a daily practice, my mats require regular cleaning. I’ve used many methods and solutions to clean my yoga mats over the years. I was a big fan of the Manduka Organic Yoga Mat Cleaner until one day I finally took a good look at the ingredients label:
Manduka Organic Yoga Mat Cleaner Ingredients:
- organic essential oils
- chelating agent (phosphate free)
- vegetable oil based surfactant
I quickly realized I could make a better and more cost effective yoga mat spray with household products. The Manduka spray works wonders on natural rubber mats, like the Manduka Pro. However, it has a strong vinegar scent that can be off-putting to some. On mats like the Liforme, Yogibare, and Yoga Design Lab, I needed a more gentle yoga mat spray that wouldn’t eat away at the top grip layer.
So, off I went to do some research and play chemistry in my kitchen. After trial & error, and lots of testing, I came up with a gentle, effective DIY Yoga Mat Spray I could use on any mat.
I’ve been using this antimicrobial & antifungal DIY Yoga Mat Spray for several months and love how customizable it is. I never run out of scent options, even with my little collection of essential oils. It’s a very natural, effective, and gentle alternative to the pre-made and commercial options. I particularly like that I can get a cleaner, residue-free, and nicer smelling result from this spray recipe. And it doesn’t have the harsh chelators and surfactants that are in so many commercial formulations.
When your yoga mat is a little slippery, sticky, feels strange under the hands & feet, or smelling funky use this antimicrobial & antifungal DIY Yoga Mat Spray!
Love this recipe? Have a favorite go-to essential oil combo? Let me know in the comments below!
DIY Yoga Mat Spray
- 16 oz Amber or Cobalt Glass Spray Bottle
- Organic Alcohol Free Organic Witch Hazel Thayer's, scented or unscented is fine
- Distilled Water
- Organic White Vinegar
- Organic Cleansing Essential Oil Like Tea Tree or Eucalyptus
- Organic Aromatherapy Essential Oil Like Lavender, Geranium, or any scent you love. Avoid citrus.
- Make sure your glass spray bottle has been cleaned and dried.
- Fill spray bottle half way with alcohol free organic witch hazel.
- Add 4 oz (or a quarter) of organic white vinegar.
- Add 4 oz (or a quarter) of distilled water.
- Add 5 drops of your organic cleansing essential Oil of choice
- Add 10 drops of your organic aromatherapy essential oil of choice
- Screw the spray nozzle cap onto the bottle and shake vigorously to incorporate all of the ingredients.
How to Use:
- After using your yoga mat, spray the solution evenly over the mat
- Wipe with a soft cloth.
- Allow your mat to dry fully before rolling and storing.
- This solution is antimicrobial & antifungal.
- Avoid using essential oils from the citrus family because they are too acidic and can damage the top layer of your mat.
- Use distilled water so that mineral deposits and residues aren’t left behind on your mat.
- Keep the solution stored in an amber or cobalt glass bottle away from sunlight and heat to maintain the integrity of the essential oils.
- Avoid storing this solution in plastic in order to prevent chemical leaching.